Tuesday, January 19, 2010

sad day for Canada


So here it is friends. A sad day for Canada. Cadbury sold itself to Kraft for 19 billion dollars. Now, you might say 19 billion is nothing to sneeze at. But Cadbury, long time British chocolate maker, producing a quality of product unsurpassed in the US, has been lost to us.

The day might come when it is no longer a Canadian right to brag about our chocolate. In fact, now that Kraft has taken on so much debt the quality might become a moot point.

I am sad. It is as if Tim Horton's had been bought out by WalMart. Or like the RCMP starting to dress like Texas troupers. We are being denuded by corporate greed.

Sigh. All I can say to my fellow Canadians is, "Stock up, baby. Stock up."

6 comments:

Unknown said...

That's still better than the US, where Cadbury chocolate is made by the Hershey company. It still tastes better than Hersheys, but it's nothing like when you buy it in Britain.

Karen said...

There is nothing - and I repeat nothing - like a Caramilk bar melting on the tongue. One savours the chocolate, anticipating the gooey caramel, all the while wondering how it got in there...We Canadians may never fully recover from this blow.

Unknown said...

I'm in mourning, and my mom is sending chocolate.

Marilyn said...

There is absolutely nothing like a Caramilk bar ... and I have one in my desk. It is kind of like a package of sin tempting me.

Barb said...

My favorite is a tin of Quality Street! My Aunt brought back a tin from England this Christmas. You should have heard us adults giving a resounding "NO" when the children asked for a piece. "You wouldn't appreciate it" we told them as we picked through the colored papers for our favorite!

Krissi said...

You can give me your package of sin. (There's nothing better than some good British sin.)