Monday, January 3, 2011

for Steve

"Ash Wednesday"
by T.S.Eliot

Because I do not hope to turn again
Because I do not hope
Because I do not hope to turn
Desiring this man's gift and that man's scope
I no longer strive to strive towards such things
(Why should the aged eagle stretch its wings?)
Why should I mourn
The vanished power of the usual reign?

Because I do not hope to know again
The infirm glory of the positive hour
Because I do not think
Because I know I shall not know
The one veritable transitory power
Because I cannot drink
There, where trees flower, and springs flow, for there is nothing again

Because I know that time is always time
And place is always and only place
And what is actual is actual only for one time
And only for one place
I rejoice that things are as they are and
I renounce the voice
Because I cannot hope to turn again
Consequently I rejoice, having to construct something
Upon which to rejoice.

______________________________________________________

I love you hon, just as we are, together. We are one. And we are two. And in our difference there is laughter. And in our sameness there is peace. I do not hope to turn again, but rejoice in what we now construct. Happy New Year.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

T.S. Eliot only has one "l" and one "t."

Marilyn said...

I know it has only one T - the second T was simply automatic impulse. smile