Monday, January 31, 2011

"Better Minds" -

This is the first of a new series of blogs by moi. I have gone on long enough about my life - which is, remarkably, like YOUR life! Isn't that a mystery!

But I am reading some great stuff so for a month or so I will share with you nuggets of my reading and how it affects me.

A friend posted a little quote on her facebook and many jumped onto the "like this" thumbs up button...but I felt like we were all being sucked in. There is a lot that is written (Christian and otherwise) that is complete drivel. The words might sound good but when the ideas are really tested they are nothing. Or foolish.

Okay - I know you are dying to read the quote - and I won't name the author - and I don't think this is the WORST quote I've seen, but it is exemplary of them.
"Our greatest fear as individuals and as a church should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter" I am not sure if you need me to spell out why this is such a lame piece of writing.

Compare that to this:
"Transformation is foundational to spirituality. Unlike religiosity, which can involve nothing more than beliefs and practices, spirituality involves a journey. Much more than a mere identity, it is walking a path."

Both of these are pieces of guidance. I know we all want to write a book. But maybe we should write fewer of them, or maybe we should do what the above quote suggests, and be more afraid of reading things that don't matter than of failing to read what does. Is that what he is saying? I am not sure.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You know, there's this little piece of me that wonders, Did I post that??!? I don't think so, because I don't believe it's true, but I post so often that I usually don't remember what I put the moment after I hit the "share" button. Ha! I know that for the longest time my fear wasn't doing things that didn't matter but simply not doing anything that does. I don't really have that fear anymore, though.

Really, though, what doesn't matter to you may matter quite a bit to me, so that's just too subjective of a statement to be that general.

Lee Ann said...

I tend to shy away from anything that promotes fear or that tells me what I should do.