Tuesday, September 8, 2009

This is a friend


I told a friend this morning that I am not doing great with my prayer life these days - that I feel like my prayers are just bouncing around in an empty room - that I have lots to pray about but low expectations.

So many ways to respond to that. You might give a defense of prayer - how it matters anyway. Or a finger shaking in your face lecture about perseverance or faith. Or you might quote a little verse... or begin to talk about your own spiritual life of prayer ...which would make you feel better but me feel worse.

But my friend did not do any of this. She simply said,

"okay - then i will pray your prayers for you ... what are they?"

2 comments:

Krissi said...

I need a friend like that. I feel like my prayer life is always in conflict with, well, itself, I suppose. I don't know what to do with prayer or what I even think about it despite the fact that I've spent much time thinking about it. Come to think about it, I probably do have a friend like that. I've just never talked about it. The problem, I suppose, when you get too used to something being the way it is. *sigh*

K

Unknown said...

There was a time in my life when I was experiencing similiar difficulties in my prayer life. YOU were the great friend who came alongside of me and prayed for me when I could not. Even though I do not know the specifics of your prayer requests I am now standing by your side, so to speak, and am praying for you as you once did for me! You are a wonderful friend!

Delightful