Monday, November 26, 2007

Unthinkable

I heard on the news this morning of the Saudi ruling that a woman who had been pulled from her car by a gang of thugs, raped with violence, was charged with being out of the house with a man other than her husband and was given the penalty of 95 lashes and 6 months in prison. Appealing, she was given double the lashes - 200 and the prison time.

What will it take for women and children to be safe in this wounded world? It is one thing to have violence imposed upon you - quite another to be held culpable for it.

As a woman I am grieving and angry. Where can I burn my bra?

1 comment:

Mark said...

I remember reading this story in astonishment last week. Sadly, the world still has a long way to go.

My sense of frustration reminds me of an anti-Bush bumper sticker I once saw that is globally applicable - "If you are not outraged, you are not paying enough attention". To me the worst tragedy is not so much the outrage, or even the cause of the outrage, but the number of people not paying enough attention...